Saturday, May 8, 2010

Meeting a living saint

I had seen him in the movie "Enlighten Up" about the spirituality of yoga, and he caught my eye and interest. He has a twinkle and a joy about him, and radiates love. He doesn't have an air of superiority. I did a little research and found out he was usually near Mathura, the birthplace of Lord Krishna, (about 2 hours from Agra by train). Thanks to help from Cait, I found a Web site that led to Swami Naresh, who told me the Maharajji would be in Goverdhan at their ashram there for the festival.

I made it to Goverdhan, to a Krishna Ashram that had a very nice guesthouse, and realized my address from Swami Naresh was quite vague. I took a room, found internet, got better info, and finally knew where to go.

That evening, I went to the Karshni ashram. A huge tent was set up to offer shade, and there was a glitzy shimmering stage hung with red curtains covered in tiny mirrors. I was greeted and led to a dining area, under another tent. Rows of people from all walks of life sat on the floor and were served a meal of dhal and chapati and rice. I attempted to eat as they were, with my right hand, and I guess I wasn't doing very well because they took pity on me and brought a spoon. I was taken to another area to wash up. Another kindly man who is close to the Maharajji came and took me past the tents to an area just behind. A 3 story building with an elevator, wood flooring, chanting music playing over the speakers in the elevator. Felt like I stepped from the country to the city as I crossed the threshold. Wasn't sure where they were taking me. A private audience? I was still struggling to come up with a question to ask him, if given the chance.

On the top floor, there was a large deck, and in the middle of the deck, a glass room about 50 X 50 feet. Inside, I could see a service was underway, with men on one side (about 60) and women on the other (about 45). These folks were much more well dressed, and this was a service before the later service for the masses. Gurusharananda (http://enlightenupthefilm.com/about/the-cast/, scroll down to see his picture and bio) sat at the front in a big chair, encircled on one side by disciples, and on the other by 20 musicians that were leading the chanting. I was ushered up to the front. The kindly man who brought me prostrated himself fully on the floor and kissed the ground in front of the Guru. The room was watching me, and I wasn't sure what to do. I knelt, and bowed with my hands together in a sign of respect, but didn't feel comfortable going for full prostration when I do not worship the guru as they do.

The service continued, with music, chanting, and clapping. People were very moved seeing him and by the music. I found it calming and peaceful. At one point the Guru took a break and left the room for about 30 minutes. The service continued. When he returned, he asked for a different song. Then some people made requests of him. He performed some blessings, and gave a small gift of food to each person there. Then everyone stood up, and came forward in a line for a final blessing. He waved me over to talk to him.

After the usual niceties, where are you from, how long will you be in India...he said "How can I help you?" "I wanted to meet you, and am honored to meet you." "And how can I be of help?" Okay...you get a chance to ask a question of a holy person, what would you ask? I was hoping that something brilliant would come in the moment I was given the chance, and instead, I felt most of my intelligence leave me. So I stumbled on with this question, which is what I have been working on. "I understand the peaceful place reached through meditation practice, but want to better understand how to move from that place into action. The two states don't feel compatible." He asked if I focus on something while meditating, or if I worked only to clear the mind. "I'm still trying different ways of meditation." He said, "If I may make a suggestion: Pick a path. It doesn't matter which one. If you go on that path, once you get there, you will see many paths lead there. But if you are trying to walk all the paths at once, you won't get where you want to go." He was very sweet and gentle as he spoke. He asked if there was anything else. Couldn't think of anything, so I thanked him, and bowed with my hands together.

Walking back to my guesthouse, I was walking against thousands and thousands of people coming the other direction for evening services for the festival. I still haven't figured out which festival it was. People were bused in from the surrounding areas. The next day, I went to Mathura.

I don't understand the guru culture, and hope to get a better sense of it in Amritsar where the Sikhs revere 10 holy gurus and are monotheistic in a sea of polytheism.

2 comments:

  1. Rain,
    I’ve so enjoyed your blog. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.
    I read bits and pieces until last night when I read all entries. Like a great book I just couldn’t ‘put it down’. I especially enjoyed your almost clairvoyant train catching adventure – amazing!!
    It’s been 2 months since you bid farewell to KP cube-land. It must seem like that was ages ago for you as you’ve experienced more in 2 months than most of us do in 2+ years! How exhilarating – how exhausting, but it sounds like you are giving yourself quite time too. You continue to amaze us with your courage
    to put yourself in tough situations. Your ability to work on internal thoughts and
    roll with the punches (cruel discrimination) is truly inspirational and eye-opening.
    Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure. Love you!
    Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain, this experience sounds rather lack luster...would you say it succeeded or failed as an experiment? :-) I picture you in that scene with that guru in the documentary instead of the main character!

    ReplyDelete