Friday, April 16, 2010

Confounding currency

Made a classic traveler's error. I had the exchange rate wrong, and spent more money than I realized. Luckily, most things were paid for in advance, so it didn't amount to more than $300 I was off. I made myself a table of what each of the bills was worth, and was off by half (thought 1000 was worth $7, but it is worth $14). The main error I made using this table, was in calculating my porter's tip. I wanted to give him $45 or $50 (which I had found out would be a very good tip) and instead I gave him almost $100, which is a VERY GOOD tip. More than he earned for the job. If someone was going to benefit from my math idiocy, I'm glad it was Krishna.

I am back in Kathmandu, and navigating much better. Amazing how much better I can get around on my own, when I first arrived my mind had trouble making any patterns from the perceived chaos. I love the feeling of adapting that happens, no matter what the norms are.

Today I am going to walk the 3 miles to the big Hindu/Buddhist temple and do a sketch of a Guardian Shiva I saw that is still my favorite. He is so peaceful looking. Because of a flight cancellation, I ended up with an extra day here. I am recovering from a cold, so it is good.

Tomorrow I head out to the village school, and don't know what to expect from that experience. I know there are 150 kids, and that I will be staying with Narayan's parents. I'll be helping the teachers and kids with English skills, but don't know what that really looks like. I'll keep you all posted once I know!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rain, Great blog! Wanted to let you know that the Legacy Highlands Facility Diversity Council won the Group Diversity Summit award for Trippin'Out this evening! Did your ears ring? I acknowledged you and Dre' (she couldn't make it) since the 3 of us were the "original" team. I said that you were traveling the globe. Several people thanked me for acknowledging you! You are missed. It was a really nice awards ceremony. Much less extravagent and less drawn out - really nice. Sounds like you are really having a good, and very introspective, journey. I wish you safety, health, and most of all peace.
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well deserved recognition for a great project. Wish you could have been there.
    Carlos

    ReplyDelete