Friday, April 30, 2010

Things are heating up in Nepal

I am still in Nepal, but hope to get out today. The weather prohibited our flight from getting in, so after another long day at the airport, I hadn't gotten anywhere. India Airlines took good care of us, and put us up in a posh hotel, and fed us from gourmet buffets. Flights the next day were all canceled, but we knew it ahead so were able to hang out at the hotel instead of another long day at the airport. It was a strange couple of days, didn't quite know where I was. The hotel was this little island of sleepy seductive luxury that could have been anywhere. I watched many bad American movies, rested on a real mattress with fluffy pillows, had a hot shower and electricity at my disposal. The only downside is I am still fighting a nasty cold that keeps me up a lot of the night coughing.

Outside the hotel, big things were underfoot. Over 120,000 people have come into Kathmandu to participate in the Maoist protests and strikes which are an effort to overthrow the current government. They plan for it to be a peaceful protest and conversation, but the army and police force are preparing for conflict.

If we can't get out today, I most likely will spend some days here at the airport, as all transportation is going to be shut down. I have met some beautiful other travelers that were stranded with me. I have never gotten flustered or angry, as many of my fellow travelers did in all the chaos when the flights were canceled. Progress on mastering and managing the internal seas of my thoughts and emotions.

I am preparing mentally for India. It is on average 110 degrees in Varanasi and Agra...so I will try to get through that part and up to the North where it is cooler as fast as I can. While being braced for the intensity of the place, I am also working to remember to seek out beauty and wonder. To expect this, along with the other realities of the place. I am traveling with only a small 10 pound back pack and small shoulder bag, which will help a lot. (I left my big pack in KTM and will get it on my way to China. The way the flights work, I had to come back through KTM to go to Beijing.) One of my goals on this trip was to learn to travel lighter, and so I am glad to be able to try this.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Rain - we love tracking your progress and reading your "thoughts". I wished I could've given you a big hug the other day - I think you needed one. You and Heidi must have the same adventure gene - one that skipped me for sure. Happy travels and keep posting often. Love your stateside, homebody cousin - Lisa

    ReplyDelete