Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Khandbari Surya Boarding School: Part 1

Khandbari, where I went to volunteer at a school, was a very difficult week, lots of personal learning, and with a few bright spots.

Just getting there was a challenge. Plane canceled the first day, then the second day I spent 6 hours at the airport only for the plane to be canceled because the gravel runway didn't dry out enough as hoped. Made it on the third day. I was greeted by the Assistant Principal, Giriraj, with a blossom garland, copious red tikki, and a white silk scarf. We had a bumpy hour and 15 minute ride to Khandbari in a packed jeep. I was housed in the town's best hotel, which is the most basic I have stayed in save Tadapani. Bed was clean, and there was a fan whenever there was power (about 9 hours a day), and the family that ran it was kind. Because of the water shortage, we could not use water to flush the shared toilet, and I just had one shower for the week.

I didn't know what helping at the school was going to look like. Giriraj and I agreed I would have some time observing how classes were conducted and later some time "peer teaching" with another teacher. The first day, I introduced myself at the morning assembly (pictured), then went to each class to do a 10 minute introduction. During this, the kids stared open-mouthed at me while I spoke, then when I left, errupted in nervous laughter. Then when I was too observe, I was instead taken to a class without a teacher, and told to teach a lesson. Turns out that it was the beginning of the new semester, and some teachers hadn't returned. This left several classrooms full of students, with no teacher. This caught me off guard the first time, but the next day I was ready with stories and discussion questions for the many times this happened again. The students were hungry to learn. I found these sessions enjoyable, and really was able to connect to the students. Even in classes where they couldn't get over my size, by then end, even the boys who were at first making derisive comments were begging me to return the next day. As I walked from one class to another, the kids would call out the windows "Rain! Namaste! Pani!" (my name in Nepali). That was fun to hear.

Though the school was run on time, everything else was on Nepali time. Giriraj would say he would meet me at a certain time, "and you must be ready!" and then he would arrive anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours late. Sometime with a reason given, sometimes in a big rush because now we were late. Meals had to be ordered in advance, with a time given when they should be ready, but would be served anytime between an hour early and 2 hours late, and I never was sure what I was getting. As my first meal there had made me sick, I was careful to order everything well cooked.

The highlights of the week: The grandmother of the hotel was a glowing woman with a peace that radiated though her smile. She is a devout practicing Hindu of a sect called "Om Shanti" which uses meditation, yoga, and thought techniques to clarify the soul. She would talk to me everyday, sometimes sharing flowers or sweetcakes from temple. Even though I didn't understand the words, her friendly intentions came through. She invited to take me to temple, and the walk there and back was the highlight of the week. Nice people came out of their houses to talk and walk with us as she is so well loved and respected. At another time, Giriraj interpreted as she and her teacher told me some of the beliefs of their faith, and she showed me her shrine and told me the story of her deified guru.

The other highlight was the Saturday morning market, a lively collage of colorful people and goods, haggling, animals coming and going. Check out the pictures of it on my photo site (click on the "photos" button at rainvandenberg.com and then the link to see more of my pictures. The market photos are in the Khandbari folder).

I will write a bit more in the second entry.



3 comments:

  1. Have you tried dumplings and roast ducks? They are the famous and traditional Beijing dieshes. And also bird's nest soup? Its a delicacy in China.

    Enjoy your days~~~

    Gillion
    www.geocities.jp/hongkong_bird_nest/index_e.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe there are a lot more things in Nepal than that. How about you try www.arunvalleytreks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello There
    In given link(rainvandenberg.com)
    there is no photo button available
    would you please provide me the accurate link ..

    ReplyDelete