Saturday, March 20, 2010

Good golly, I'm on my way!

I am in line in the LA airport, in the international terminal, with announcements in Chinese, Thai and others I can't identify. The muggy warm air of LA wafts through the terminal, a taste of warmer climes I am on my way to. Had a fine flight here from Denver after a comforting sendoff by family and friends last night and this morning. Thanks to all that came to send your well wishes! I carry them with me.

My pack for the next 6 months to a year came in at 35.5 pounds. I am good with that! I had to read a whole book about packing light as it is counter to my old nature. I'm developing new, lighter habits. The book's message could be distilled down to one easy test. You should be able, with everything you are carrying, to run at a dead run to catch a train and not be inhibited by your stuff. I haven't had to literally test that yet, so I'll have to let you know how I did. At least I'm way closer to that goal than on previous trips.

An 18 hour flight to Bangkok on Thai airlines, 5 hour layover then a 3 hour flight to Kathmandu. A couple days to switch to their time zone (12 hours difference) and then I'll start my trek!

Next post will be from Bangkok, if I can swing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment