Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Leaving daily work in an office


Today was intense. I am training the woman who will carry forth the work I am leaving. She is spunky, energetic, and a quick study. She'll fit in great with my team, and it is a profound relief to be leaving knowing the work I have done will be continued and that my teammates have a good new person to share the load.

Today was my going away party where people from the larger department all came by to say goodbye, to hear about my trip, to look at my maps, and to eat good snacks. It was easy to talk about the trip. That part is getting easier. "Nepal, India, Tibet, China, and Mongolia." See how easy it rolls off the tongue?

The hard part was saying good-bye to people that I spend more time with than my family. They wrote up a framed statement that said what they appreciate about me. My boss read it to the room, and many were choked up (including me). I knew I couldn't read it aloud without crying. I was glad Patti got through it. Even though it is awkward for me to be the object of public appreciation, I worked to be present and try to soak it in to help me get through other times where I need encouragement. Even people from outside the department came. Felt like a mini-retirement party, which is about right.

Two days left of work. One long and one short. I'll be out of my apartment Sunday morning. Ten days til I get on the plane. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment