Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Kathmandu: The adventure is underfoot

You know on the Matrix Reloaded when Trinity heads down the freeway the wrong way on purpose, zigzagging through traffic, cars swerving everywhere? That is what driving is like here. There is a logic, apparently, because there are few accidents, but to the untrained eye it is extraordinary.

I met Niraj, who will be my guide on the trek and in KTM (Kathmandu). He is a man with a kindly, gentle disposition. A good match for me. He has been taking me around on his motorbike through the mad traffic where all the vehicles constantly discuss matters of state through their incessant beeping. Like a flock of geese, where they are all talking to eachother as they fly. He was surprised I insisted on renting a helmet. He only wears one because it is the law that drivers have to wear one. Now with the helmet I just occasionally close my eyes, find my happy place and magically avoid collisions. Niraj is a good driver so I trust that.

Today I went to the US embassy here. The security was imposing, the people quite unfriendly. I was a little surprised at the tone, especially since I am a citizen. Maybe I am already getting used to how friendly Nepali people are.

I will write a little more after doing some sighseeing tomorrow, and hope to post pictures. My backpack was delayed one day, but I was relieved to get it today. After so carefully packing everything, it would have been very difficult to reinvent!

Thanks to Lisa Leafgreen for connecting me to Niraj, Devaraj, and Narayan (owner of company), they are great, and taking good care of me.

1 comment:

  1. We should all get to feel like Trinity at least once. Glad to hear you arrived safely. Perhaps hearing that Denver got a foot of snow last night will make being in Nepal even sweeter.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete