Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Lost and found in Thamel

I am staying just outside of Thamel, which is the main tourist area. It is dense with shops that line narrow streets constantly teeming with pedestrians, bicycle rick shaws, mobile fruit and popcorn carts, bicycles, motorbikes, and taxis. The streets look like a maze to me, and I am only just starting to orient to one or two streets, out of about 20. So at the end of my first full day here, I decided it was high time I set out on my own, even though I wasn't completely oriented. I had got directions to a restaurant I was recommended, and headed out. I made it with only one error.
Then, dinner was more than I expected. I was left with only 30 rupees in my pocket. I headed out to go home, and got really turned around. It was dark, and things looked different. I walked up and down, trying to find something I recognized. Finally, after 45 minutes, I asked a woman where my hotel was. She gestured directions, which mostly told me I was far from where I wanted to be. A bicycle rickshaw driver was nearby. I told him I only had 30 rupees, but I needed his help. (Normal fare would have been 50-100.) He agreed and took me to my hotel. I'm glad I did it, and it was a good test that things work out. I knew I was safe to be out until 8 pm, and made it back at 7:45. Just getting my feet wet, and ended up going for a swim.

The next day I went sightseeing in the city on the back of Niraj's motorbike. I will write more about that, next blog. Tomorrow we head out to Pokura on a 7 hour bus ride through the valley, and the next day start the trek.

2 comments:

  1. Life finds a way ... glad to hear you made it safe and sound. I'm really looking forward to hearing all about your travels along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The number of times we live because of the kindness of strangers! Interdependence. So glad your swimming lesson wasn't in a tide pool!

    ReplyDelete